Saturday, December 12, 2009

Crafty Ideas

So, I've had a crafty couple of days. I decided to make my dog a belly band. It's like a diaper for a male dog to prevent pee accidents in the house. In this process I found a good use for my hubby's old socks I've been saving for years with my crafts in hopes of finding a use for them. I also discovered that the very top stretchy part made a good scrunchy for me (not for public use but good to hold my overnight braid).

Doggy Belly Band Directions (I'm not a seamstress so bare with my terminology):

1. Measure dog around his back belly area.
2. Cut old mens sport sock between toe and heel from 2 socks. Leave tubular. Put one inside the other with terry facing out. This is your absorbent area.
3. Cut poly fleece an inch wider than socks and the length of the measurement from #1 + 1 inch. Make sure the long part (the part that goes around the dog) is the strechiest (if you pull the fabric one direction with stretch, the other will not).
4. Put terry in center of fleece.
5. Wrap and pin fleece around socks and continue fold over (for beauty) along each side of fleece.
6. Add velcro (male on ones side and female on other) on each side of fleece for securing around dog. Check to make sure velcro will tighten securely as the fleece stretches.

Then, yesterday, it was our coldest day yet and the dog needed as sweater if we wanted to take him to the park. So, I used my handy extra fleece and cut a rectangular piece that was the length of the dog including head and width to fit around top and sides. I was able to wrap this so that it fit securely under his Petco "Dog 101" vest harness. It functioned well and looked like a cap. Seemed appropriate. A blue cap for our dog we call "Super Nova."

No comments:

Post a Comment