Saturday, November 28, 2009

Gluten-free, Dairy-free and Soy-Free Thanksgiving, Oh my!

Alright, so haven't been keeping up with my blog. Maybe I'll do better this time. I'd like to use my blog for a little while to share my adventures in experimenting with Gluten-free eating and cooking.

I officially went gluten-free on Tuesday per my doctors recommendations. I have lots of congestion and stomach issues and even after eliminating dairy and soy they weren't solved. Although no gluten issues were shown in the celiacs panel I did a few months ago, we agreed that there could still be a sensitivity that is weakening my system and that has caused damage to my intestines. After weeks of resisting saying I'll wait until after the holidays, I decided Tuesday just to take the plunge because I was tired of my issues and hoped I could resolve them once and for all.

I had a gluten-free, dairy-free and soy-free Thanksgiving thanks to all the gluten-free recipes online. We had my grandmothers wonderful cornbread stuffing using Karina's Gluten-free Cornbread sans the chilies and cinnamon. I also reduced the sugar down to 1/8 c as I don't like much sweet especially for stuffing and I could have just eaten the cornbread alone. Yum! I then used the Five Minute Pumpkin Pie Recipe I've been using for a few years except with almond milk and with Karina's Almond Pie Crust. I was very satisfied with both the pumpkin filling and the pie crust but wasn't completely happy with the pairing. I found that the almond crust overpowered the pumpkin. I look forward to trying another crust for Christmas and also coming up with something else to use the almond crust for, cheesecake maybe (oh, yea, I'm avoiding dairy). I also made the crust too thick I think although I'm not sure if it could have been avoided, the almond crust grew after baking.

Our menu also included:
- my hubby's smoked turkey (he's the king of smoked meat, took hours but worth it)
- green beans with garlic and olive oil
- sweet potatoes in orange juice, molassas and maple syrup
- mashed potatoes with olive oil and garlic
- fresh cranberry sauce

I'm very happy with our results and want to assure everyone that you can have a gluten-free, diary-free and soy-free Thanksgiving that is simply delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I used an alternative crust for our pumpkin pie that you could make gluten-free. It is one you 'smush' into the pie pan, not roll in. It uses oven toasted pecans, oats (you can get gluten free ones), flour (pick what you want, though gluten free would require an agent to get it to stick together a bit better), cinnamon, applesauce (I used applesauce instead of the oil it called for), and maple syrup. Was very yummy! If you want the recipe let me know!

    Allison (Shannon and Ian's mom)
    *waves*

    ReplyDelete