Saturday, November 28, 2009

Another Gluten-free Day

Today we did some running around and decided to go by Z-Pizza. Previously, I had gotten the whole wheat crust but today, gluten-free was in order. I tried their California pizza with gluten-free crust. It was dairy so I took my handy enzymes (I just started eating dairy again after giving up soy although right now I'm trying to go without soy, gluten or dairy to repair my insides). Well, I have to say the gluten-free crust left much to be desired. I think part of the problem was that it was made to try and simulate white bread which I'm not a fan of anyway. I also didn't like how sweet or dry it was. The whole combo also left my tummy a bit annoyed with me. I'll be experimenting with my own gluten-free crust soon I think.

Later this afternoon, I decided to go to the nearby Ethiopian bakery/market, Mena Market at 6222 Rolling Rd, Springfield, VA. I was happy to find that they had genuine Injera, an Ethiopian bread made of teff flour. Teff is a gluten-free and highly nutritious ancient grain. They had both Injera made with just teff, as well as some with white flour so be aware if you decide to get some. It is very common in the US for Injera to be made with a combination of teff and white flour.

I think I can get use to this bread. It tasted like sourdough but it was flat like a pancake. Had some with hummus this evening and plan to try it out with maple syrup for breakfast tomorrow. I was considering making my own "Authentic Ingera," however, it takes days. Just picking it up a couple miles from home sound more appealing to me. We will see. I do plan to get some teff either way to incorporate into other recipes. Can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Have you had injera with a traditional Ethiopian dish???? YUMMY!!!! I love ET food! I need to start practicing my ET cooking so that I have at least a couple dishes I can make for my kid(s) when he/they get here! ;-)

    ReplyDelete